Pages

Apr 26, 2007

STOP THE PRESSES -- ACE IN THE HOLE FINALLY COMING TO DVD


As a person obsessed with the cinema, this is perhaps one of the greatest days of my life. I am pleased as punch to finally be able to announce that the DVD gods at the Criterion Collection have announced the release of Billy Wilder’s under-rated and rarely seen masterpiece ACE IN THE HOLE otherwise known as THE BIG CARNIVAL.

Released in 1951, this film was well ahead of its time in its depiction of the media circus, and exploitation of tragic events for the sake of money and better ratings. Kirk Douglas is at his best, and Billy Wilder’s eye for the darker side of life has never been put to better use (well, maybe a little more in SUNSET BOULEVARD).

The disc from Criterion (title #396) will be released on July 17, and you can rest assured that before I wrote this, I went directly to Amazon.com and pre-ordered it where it is currently listed for $27.96 (USD).

For years I have been waiting for a commercial release of this film, forever having to live with a pathetic print taped from TVO’s Saturday Night at the Movies (taped in 1990). In 2003, the AFI hosted a special screening of the film at the Arclight in Hollywood, and recently I noticed the film has played on TCM, so I knew something was in the works, but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be a Criterion release.

And check out the cover art which I have added to this write-up. It, like the film, is something to look forward to.