Pages

Jul 31, 2007

SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON 2004 - DAY 4, SUNDAY - THE END (SNIFF)

Sunday at Comic-con is the one day I find the most relaxing. It’s kids day, so most of the heavy duty Studio panels are done, with only television, animation, comics and some of the more personal panels left to go. So I usually start out by doing a few last rounds of the exhibit hall and then try to take in a panel or 2, and this year was no different, except for the fact that Sunday was extremely packed. I later found out that the entire show had sold out, so that is probably why Saturday didn’t seem as bad as I thought it would be as there were the same amount of people attending as there were on the other days. I still somehow managed to fill up another bag of swag which I wasn’t looking forward to trying to find space in my suitcase for.

There weren’t that many panels on Sunday that I was interested in, so I decided on 2 television panels – one for THE 4400 and the other for JERICHO, but I only made it through THE 4400 which too me just seemed like another run-of-the-mill cable Sci-Fi show, and it didn’t really inspire me to run out and catch any episodes. Then, seeing as how I’m not that into watching JERICHO (and exhaustion was truly setting in at this point), I decided to call it a con.

Another favorite of mine on Sunday is the STARSHIP SMACKDOWN. Run by Mark Altman, producer of the great film FREE ENTERPRISE (if you haven’t seen it, go get it now, it’s SWINGERS for the geek set) the Smackdown has a panel of judges who determine who would win in a fight, (for example) the Millennium Falcon or the Enterprise, and have them face off with various TV/Movie/Cartoon spaceships (they also do one with robots). This is quite possibly the geekiest and funniest panel of the show, and being on Sunday, is a nice way of wrapping things up. It also attracts a pretty large crowd now who have gotten to the point where they yell and cheer and are very vocal. Because of my flight plans though, I couldn’t make it this year which I am very bummed about.

Reflecting on this year’s show, I have to say that I was impressed at how big the show has become and that with the enormous amount of media coverage it has gained (CNN, G4 broadcasting daily, USA Today had a big spread, etc.) that they still make it completely accessible to the normal everyday geek. Never did you feel that anyone was getting preferential treatment because of their credentials. Media had to get in line with the regular fans if they wanted to ask questions (and they also had backstage press conferences as well), and the only bonuses by having an industry professional badge were that the entry fee was waved, and you get access to the “professional lounge” which is just a quiet room for making calls or whatever. I’m sure with the success and sell-out factor that next year will be just as popular, and this is one show that every year I expect will be less than anticipated, but always comes out on top.

I always find leaving Comic-con very difficult. You’re just so engrossed in the world of pop culture for 4 full days that when you are faced with dealing with reality again, it almost comes as a shock. Luckily, there are always the movies, DVDs and shows that were presented to look forward to as well as next year’s show!