Pages

Jun 23, 2012

"Bad" Movies We Love - Guest Post: Rob Roy





Rob Roy and I have been good friends since High School and his enthusiasm for...well...everything is obvious. I have rarely seen Rob in a bad mood.  He loves film and always has.  During high school he worked at the local Cable Station and was the resident camera guy for every school event.  His yearbook entry had the headline "Flipped out on Film" next to it.  


He attended the Cinematography workshop in Rockport, Maine, was the person who helped me discover the magazine AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER, was an instructor at Sheridan College in Ontario in the film department (one of the top Film Programs in Canada), is a Pixar enthusiast (especially anything TOY STORY and Buzz Lightyear related) as well as an Apple enthusiast - so much so that he now works for the company.  I believe if Rob could own a life size AT-AT Walker, he would.  He loved the Lotus in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME so much I believe he owns 2 of them (although neither turn into a submarine...yet)


I thought of Rob instantly when Rupert Pupkin, Deb and I conceived this series given that I know he has an eclectic list of under-appreciated movies that he champions.  I mean come on...this is a guy who would go to the ends of the earth for MEGAFORCE (and can you blame him?).  

Here is his list:

--------------------------------------------------------------------


"Bad" Movies We Love

This was a difficult list to compile. Probably because I do love all the movies listed, and one person's prized possession may be someone else's garbage. I tried to compile a list where my choices, I think, would be the popular opinion. I left out great movies that many believe are bad, but have achieved cult status, and therefore don't belong here. Some picks are added because I felt that many people may not have even heard of them, but probably should. Some choices people might argue are great, and don't belong on this list. Maybe so. In the end, most of these would be categorized by me as not "Bad Movies", but perhaps "Guilty Pleasures." Enjoy.


Along Came Polly (2004)


Not a solid movie, but Philip Seymor Hoffman's performance is outstanding


Army of Darkness (1993)


Classic Bruce Campbell


Back to the Beach (1987)


A movie that pokes fun at the genre which Frankie and Annette created. Great soundtrack including "Surfing Bird" by Pee Wee Herman.



Blame it on the Bellboy (1992)


Classic misinterpretation movie with Bronson Pinchot at the wheel.



The Chase (1994)


Charlie Sheen years before winning. Fantastic camera work keeps an OJ Simpson style chase fun and exciting.



Corvette Summer (1978)


Luke trades in the LandSpeeder for a fancy 'Vette. Who can resist?



Damnation Alley (1977)


My love of cars draws me to the ultra epic RV used in this post apocalyptic trek across the USA.



52 Pick-Up (1986)


John Glover deserves better roles once you have seen his magic in this movie.



Flash Gordon (1980)


Classic Queen soundtrack draws me in every time.



The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990)


Dice at his 90's best.



Gentlemen Broncos (2009)


A new classic from the people that brought you Napolean Dynamite.



Ghost World (2001)


Thora Birch can act.



Groundhog Day (1993)


I love this movie, and I believe that many other's do too. I have often heard people say that it's too repetitive. Come on people, that's the whole key to this movie. A true study in nuance.



Heartbeeps (1981)


Andy Kaufman and Bernadette Peters as robots looking for life and love.



Hudson Hawk (1991)


I don't even want to include this here, as it is one of my favourite movies of all time. However there was a large group of haters when it launched. I think they secretly have become Hawk cultists in the years since. Great commentary track on the DVD.



Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)


The first in a long line of "Zucker Brothers" comedy classics including Airplane and Top Secret. This is a very unusual film in that it is mostly comprised of sketches and fake commercials, tied loosely together with a fabulous kung fu movie in the middle. I don't think this movie would be made in today's politically correct world. 



Love at First Bite (1979)


Vampire comedy starring George Hamilton. Does it get any better? I'd watch this a hundred times to every Bram Stoker's Dracula screening.



Megaforce (1982)


Another of the movies that I love and can watch as many times as possible. This is in my holy trilogy of comedies from director Hal Needham, including Smokey and the Bandit, and Cannonball Run. Consider this an 80's G I Joe. Barry Bostwick leads an international secret fighting force against the forces of evil. I especially love the scene between Barry and Henry Silva, where they discuss leadership differences.



9 to 5 (1980)


Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dabney Coleman. Comedy Gold! 



The Pirate Movie (1982)


Camped up version of the Pirates of Penzance with a young and beautiful Kristy McNichol. Fantastic musical numbers and soundtrack make it stand out.



Remo Williams, the Adventure Begins (1985)


Fred Williams and Joel Grey work great together as teacher and student. Great fight scene on top of the Statue of Liberty.



Romy and Michelle's Highschool Reunion (1997)


Always fun to watch. Janeane Garfalo steals the show as always.

Running Scared (1986)


Buddy picture with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines. I wish they had done more together. 



She's Having a Baby (1988)


Probably one of John Hughes' lesser known films. Still a sentimental favourite. I like showing it to couples who are having relationship trouble. It adds some great perspective about balance and gratitude.



Untamed Heart (1993)


It's a bit sappy, and I admit I originally went to see it because it was DP'd by Jost Vacano. In the end, it's not all bad.



Undercover Brother (2002)


I've never been sure where this film's place is in the world. I don't think I saw it when it first came out, so I don't know if it was a bomb or a smash. I do know that I love to watch it, time and time again.



The Woman in Red (1984)


Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner, with a touch of full frontal of Kelly LeBrock. Gilda is awesome in this movie.