Pages

Jan 1, 2017


Happy New Year!

2016 was a rough one for celebrities, and for a while it looked like it was going to be a rough year for the movies.  While it wasn't the best of cinema years, the picture business is far from dead.  Star Wars expanded its' cinematic universe with great success and Marvel continued their hits streak while the DC Comics films succeeded financially, but failed creatively in an epic fashion.  Career-wise, I personally did alright starting the year as part of the VFX team for Ghostbusters (un-credited), moving onto Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV then ending the year on a super high note with my involvement on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (note - all posts are my own personal views, and do not reflect those of my employers, nor are they associated with them in any way,  I steer as clear as possible from commenting in-depth on any of the projects I am or have been associated with).

Here we are in 2017.  President Trump is only a few weeks away from becoming an actual thing (for some that is good and others bad - nothing political intended, just stating it as a fact) and some big new movies await us such as Spider-man Homecoming, War For The Planet of the Apes, Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, Alien: Covenant and Star Wars: Episode VIII to name a few.

With a new year comes resolutions, and one that I have to re-do from a few years back is to get my blogs back on track.  That includes this site, Pop-Cult-Binge (a site I contribute to), my personal Tumblr page as well as my continued work for the American Cinematheque (an organization who will always get the most amount of love from me, and is the one area I did not slack on in 2016).

For this blog, Cinema-Scope, look for a series I am calling my "My Love Affair with Los Angeles - L.A. In Print and on Film", as well as my annual "Film Discoveries" list(s) (which will appear after the first one is published on the Rupert Pupkin Speaks blog), continuing my periodic "Film Re-Visits" and "Last Films Viewed" columns (the latter inspired by Film Comment), and hopefully a lot more.

So let's get down to the serious business of watching and discussing those wonderful picture shows that bring us all together.  Here's to a happy - and movie-full - 2017!